Intermountain Health offers a competitive Advanced Practice Provider (APP) Primary Care Fellowship with a geriatric focus that accepts two fellows every six months. A new cohort begins each January and July. Our 12-month program includes clinical time under the supervision of a preceptor, rotations through various specialties, weekly didactic lectures, opportunity to participate in a research project, weekly reviews with preceptor and program director, and a dedicated GME program coordinator. After completing the 12-month program, fellows transition to independent providers and are assigned to a “home” clinic for two additional years. The total commitment, if accepted into the program, is three (3) years.
We develop outstanding APPs to provide innovative and compassionate healthcare and to be the future leaders committed to improving the health and quality of life of the residents of southern Nevada.
Our program was developed and launched by Warren Volker MD, PhD, FACOG in conjunction with Robert Vadovic DNP, APNC, in 2017. Dr. Volker’s passion surrounding healthcare and Graduate Medical Education was immense. In addition to his passion for GME, Dr. Volker helped to recruit talented providers and participated in training and professional development. He was a visionary and inspirational leader who influenced and touched the countless individuals he encountered. Dr. Volker was a generous philanthropist, mentor, leader and a lifelong learner. His influence shaped the direction of this program and we are truly grateful for his insight, advice and support.
- Competitive salary plus opportunity for commitment bonuses and eligibility for incentive compensation bonuses after one year
- Acclimate to the role of a healthcare provider under the close supervision of an experienced provider
- Continue to develop knowledge base with clinical and didactic learning experiences
- Effectively assess, diagnose, and treat patients with increasing complexity in a primary care setting including new myGeneration Senior Clinics
- Increase understanding of Medicare Advantage versus Fee-for-Service models, as well as basic knowledge of billing and coding
- Become more familiar with HEDIS measures and how to implement guidelines into practice
- 8 to 10-hour days, four to five days a week, Monday through Friday (no rotations on holidays*) — this schedule encourages a proper work-life balance
- Admittance of two graduates to the APP Primary Care Fellowship ensures tailored instruction and a comprehensive educational experience
- Robert J. Vadovic, RN, DNP, APN-C – Fellowship Program Director and Community-Based Programs Medical Director
- Ida Will, DNP, MBA, MSN, FNP-C – Fellowship Consultant and Director of Affiliate Operations
- Alice Velasquez-Leon, MSN, FNP-BC – Maryland Parkway Clinic Faculty
- Amber Peterson, MSN, APRN, NP-C – Rancho Clinic Faculty
- Ashlyn Call, DMS, MPAS, PA-C – Galleria Clinic Faculty
- Aysa Chavarria, DNP, APRN, FNP-C – Rancho Clinic Faculty
- Nathania Park, RN, MSN, APN-BC – Nellis Clinic Faculty
Current Fellows and Graduates
Cohort 1 – Graduated June 2020
Cohort 2 – Graduated December 2020
Cohort 3 – Graduated June 2021
Cohort 4 – Graduated December 2021
Cohort 5 – Graduated June 2022
Cohort 6 – Graduated June 2023
- Brandon Ludwig, FNP-C
- Susan C. Anderson, FNP-C
Cohort 7 – Graduated December 2023
Cohort 8 – Expected to graduate June 2024
Cohort 9 – Expected to graduate December 2024
- Aline Bakr, FNP-C
- Maeghan Darby, PA-C
Apply Now for our Primary Care Fellowship
Candidates must be:
- A Nurse Practitioner (APRN) or Physician Assistant (PA) who has met the advanced educational and clinical practice requirements to be considered a graduate of a certified APRN or PA program within the last 12 months or graduate at least three months before the cohort start date.
- Candidates must be board-certified as a PA with National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants, or Family Practitioner (FNP) or Adult/Gerontology Nurse Practitioner by either the American Association of Nurse Practitioners or the American Nurse Credentialing Center, or scheduled to sit for your boards at least 1-month prior to beginning the program.
- Must hold a valid unencumbered Nevada license as either an APRN or PA, or have submitted your application which is pending review and approval by the board. PAs are encouraged to apply to both the Board of Medical Examiners and the Board of Osteopathic Physicians.
- Must not be currently working or must not have worked as an APRN/PA for longer than 9 months.
- Must be able to commit to a 3-year period (program is 1 year in length and graduates will stay on for an additional 2 years as full provider).
Fellowship Committee applications must include the following:
- Completed and signed APP Fellowship Application form (link below)
- Personal statement
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Letter of good standing from an accredited university or copy of grade transcript
- Letters of recommendation from two categories: 1) clinical preceptor; 2) educator/professor; 3) professional supervisor/manager
- Personal head shot or photo appropriate for a professional application
APP Fellowship Application
After your completed application is received, you will be contacted by our GME Program Coordinator with further instructions. Due to the competitive nature of this program, all candidates will be required to complete a brief 3-question video interview. The Graduate Medical Education (GME) Team and Admissions Committee will thoroughly review all applications before making a determination on which qualified candidates will be invited to interview in-person. After interviews are complete, we will select two fellows for each cohort.
Recruitment for our next cohort of fellows (cohort/class #10) opens January 2024. Two selected individuals will start the program on July 8, 2024. For questions or additional information, please email our Program Coordinator at APPfellowship@imail.org. To save/print our program summary flyer, please click here.
Candidates are required to submit a 3-part application:
- PDF fellowship committee application (link above)
- Workday application from our Careers website (link will be provided)
- Brief 3-question video interview facilitated by our Clinician Recruiter (scheduled after parts 1 and 2 are submitted)
- Recruitment opens: Tuesday, 1/2
- Application deadline: Tuesday, 2/27 (5pm PST)
- Interview invitations sent to selected applicants: Friday, 3/8
- Interview day: Tuesday, 3/19*
- Two fellows begin the program: Monday, 7/8
*We hold one interview day for all selected applicants. We cannot accommodate additional dates at this time.